Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Backlog Review: Spelunky

Spelunky is owned by Mossmouth and Derek Yu
I watch my tiny adventurer descend down the passage.  My fingers tighten up and sweat starts to form on my brow.  I think to myself, "THIS time I will get it for sure..."  The game starts and I quickly analyze my surroundings.  A pit with a couple cavemen, A few snakes wandering about, and some gems down a deserted passageway. Not too bad.  I grab the gems and try to sneak up on the cavemen.  I leap down only to miss his head by a few pixels, crashing to the ground and stunning myself.  The caveman sees me and goes nuts crashing into me, reducing my precious life by another point, and stunning me again.  I manage to get up before the caveman turns around and make a flying leap off the nearest ledge, hoping for the best.  The screen scrolls down to reveal a spike pit directly below, but it is too late to avoid it. I land with a dull thud, my remaining life instantly extinguished.  I grunt in frustration and return to the title screen.  As I send my adventurer down into the pit I think to myself, "THIS time I will get it for sure..."
The Spelunky experience is a frustrating and addicting one.  You play as an Indiana Jones style adventurer searching a cave for treasure.  Each cave is randomly generated, so nothing is ever what you expect or hope it to be.  If you plan to play Spelunky, be prepared to die.  A lot.  Everything in this game wants to kill you or will kill you at the slightest provocation.  There are many one hit kills and ridiculously devilish traps just waiting to take a chunk out of your precious health.  Despite this, Spelunky is an utter blast to play.  You have just enough tools to make you think with every scenario.  Risk the snakes in order to get to a treasure chest or supply crate?  Or take the safe route straight to the exit?  It is an intense and rewarding experience that will always have you coming back for one more try. The difficulty curve might be a bit high for some, but I encourage all those who wish to play to stick with it.  Spelunky has been for the best platforming experiences I've ever had, and I can't wait to do it again when the game comes out on Xbox Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment